Journal Prompts for Working with the Chakra System
Jordan Rome is the Editor-In-Chief of Gaia Goddess who enjoys her carefree life without a zip code. She loves to create worlds that challenge limited perspectives through performance, words, and visual arts!
Journal Prompts for Working with the Chakra SystemWe, humans, are sensitive and energetic beings. We accumulate many experiences that influence how we understand and move through the world, sometimes neglecting our emotional and energetic bodies. Without proper maintenance, it's easy to collect stories, beliefs, habits, perspectives, and values that may not even belong to us. Journaling is a beautiful practice that allows us to engage in more profound questions and closely examine our thoughts, actions, and behaviors.
Consider these journal prompts when you feel disconnected from yourself, your inner wisdom, and your purpose. These questions are meant to help you lull the void you might feel so you can return home to yourself. Despite the feelings that may arise, trust that this self-exploration practice is a priceless investment that will move the needle forward. It's in the simple act of showing up for yourself and making this brave commitment to be present with your emotions and process them through journaling, a ritual, if you will.
Each question is divided into seven sections representing the chakra system- The Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra, and Crown Chakra. As you progress through each section, you can imagine each chakra from the root to the crown becoming activated. You may want to spread this out over seven days, doing a section or system each day of the week to go deeper as you discover your inner world and connect to its guidance. After you finish, feel free to head to our library and tune into our Gaia Goddess sound meditation, guided by Grace Magnuson. In this sound journey, the sound vibrations surround you and will also move through you so you can further release energies and emotions that may have arisen in your journaling session. So, find somewhere cozy where you won't be interrupted, and get ready to dive in. Enjoy!
ROOT CHAKRA (Muladhara)
Our root chakra at the spine and tailbone's base keeps us grounded and represents Mother Gaia, Earth. This system is our foundation and governs feelings of survival, security, stability, and belonging.
- What is your relationship to home? Where and when do you feel most at home- who is with you, what's around you, what do you hear, taste, smell?
- Who most influenced your money habits? Was it positive, or did you have an experience that felt insufficient? How is this influence currently impacting your beliefs about money?
- Are there specific things that run in your family that you'd like to let go of or avoid altogether? These may include health issues, personality traits, habits, patterns, etc.
SACRAL CHAKRA (Swadhisthana)
Our sacral chakra deeply intertwines with our emotions, hence its association with the water element. It's located two inches below the belly button in our lower abdomen. This chakra is responsible for our creative expression, sense of abundance, sexuality, and sensuality and corresponds with our sexual and reproductive organs.
- Imagine your most raw and sensual self. Get specific and describe them and what they're doing in detail.
- How comfortable are you with allowing pleasure into your life, and what areas of your life do you wish to welcome more pleasure in?
- What does success look like to you? According to your perspective, do you consider yourself to be successful?
SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA (Manipura)
Associated with the fire element and digestive system and is located in the center of our core, this chakra governs our sense of worth, inner power, confidence, and ego. Working with this chakra allows us to awaken to our life force and be bold and audacious.
- In what areas of your life do you find that you second-guess yourself?
- Do you have any regrets that you're holding onto? What do you think is making it difficult to let go of?
- What is your relationship to forgiveness? Is there anyone in your life you'd like to forgive or feel you need forgiveness from?
HEART CHAKRA (Anahata)
Associated with the lungs and the element of air, this chakra is located in the center of the chest just above the heart. This chakra governs our ability to give and receive love, joy, and inner peace. Working with this chakra will help to expand your heart and be open to the high vibrations of unconditional love.
- List all the qualities that you value about yourself. Can you find a way to make affirmations out of those qualities?
- Recall a time when you were deeply proud of yourself. What was going on in your life at the time? Was anyone else besides you involved?
- How do you express your love, and what does love mean to you?
THROAT CHAKRA (Vishuddha)
This chakra is located in the throat and connected to the ethereal. It's responsible for our communication, both speaking and listening, and our self-expression and ability to communicate our personal truth.
- When was the last time you spoke up for yourself? Who were you speaking to, and what drove you to defend yourself? Were there things you didn't get to say or wish you hadn't? How would you have handled it differently, if at all?
- Who do you have difficulty saying no to, and why? What about communicating with them makes it difficult to assert your boundaries? What sensations do you notice in your body when speaking with them, and where are you holding back?
- Which emotions do you feel you communicate in ways that are unhealthy? Who in your life, if anyone, tends to replicate the same communication style?
THIRD EYE CHAKRA (Ajna)
The third eye chakra is our ability to tap into our intuition and, metaphorically, see beyond the veil. It's associated with the light element and is on the forehead between the eyes. Working with this chakra allows you to tap into higher forms of wisdom and explore the bigger picture.
- Describe a time when you experienced synchronicity or manifested something in your life.
- Write about something you've been wanting to call in as if it was already here.
- Can you think of a time when you've had some intuitive hits and were right about them? What allowed you to trust your intuition? Were there signs along the way? Bodily sensations?
CROWN CHAKRA (Sahasrara)
This chakra is at the top of the head, is associated with cosmic energies, and governs our spiritual connection and divine consciousness. Working with this chakra expands past our physical limitations and thrusts us into an opportunity for spiritual awakening.
- How do you connect with the Divine?
- Do you believe in fate and destiny, that everything happens for a reason? If so, why? Why not?
- In what areas of your life do you feel you've gained the most wisdom?